Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, Future Foundation, Blaze of Glory

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man 6, 11

I must have read good reviews for these issues, there’s no other way I’d have these specific ones.  I must also have bought these before Tom Taylor showed up on my radar, or else I would have kept buying this title.


These are one-shot stories of the highest order.  I’ve had a kid since I read the cancer issue, so the watery eyes from the last three pages are new.


I’m now sorely tempted to pick up the rest of the run. 


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Pure joy


Future Foundation 1

Exactly how I remember it.  Easy cut.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: No

Rating: Disliked


Blaze of Glory 1-4

My love for this mini hasn’t wavered since the first time I read it in 2000.  John Ostrander and Leonardo Manco (one of the most underrated artists of his time) totally deliver on the tagline: “The Last Ride of the Western Heroes.”  There’s such an epic feel to this story.  I wasn’t familiar with any of the good guys when I first picked this up, but Ostrander effectively conveys their personalities and manages to keep ten (!) characters distinct and recognizable.


Manco's grit and dust is perfect for a western.





It's all so gorgeous and perfect.

(Two-Gun, Outlaw, Colt, and Rawhide, in case you forgot.  All Kids.)


The story is standard Magnificent Seven (Seven Samurai) stuff.  It works because it’s one of the best tropes in existence.  


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Good


Apache Skies 1-4

With most of the heroes from the previous series dead, the follow-up focuses on Johnny Bart, the Rawhide Kid.  It’s still a nice western comic, but it feels a little more…ordinary.  Manco’s art is best when it’s scratchy and dark (see Blaze of Glory).  Here, while it still looks good, it’s too clean and loses Manco’s distinctive quality.  


A cute nod to Ostrander's DC maxiseries.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Pretty good


No comments:

Post a Comment