Wednesday, July 13, 2022

True Story Swear to God

True Story Swear to God 1-11

It makes me incredibly sad that this comic doesn’t blow me away this way it used to.  This was one of my absolute favorite series ever, and while it’s still good, I’m no longer swept away by the heartstring pulls and sheer romance that writer/artist Tom Beland is presenting. 


I have a couple of theories.  The first is that I’m happily married now.  Romances were a lot more effective on me when I was sadly single and desperately wishing for the thing these stories were selling.  The second is that Beland and Lily Garcia have divorced (amicably) since the end of TSSTG.  It doesn’t negate everything here, but it does cast a faint shadow over it all, knowing there’s no happily ever after to be had.  


All that means is that this gets downgraded from Pure Joy to Really Good, not the worst of penalties.  Beland is a phenomenally talented cartoonist and gifted storyteller.  The mix of humor and love creates an amazing blend that’s wholly its own.  


Hee.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Really good


No comments:

Post a Comment