Sunday, July 10, 2022

Death Jr

Death Jr 1-3

I bought this because Ted Naifeh did the art.  I honestly don’t remember reading any of it, and I wouldn’t be surprised if this is actually my first time going through it.  And yet I bought all six issues.  Based on a PSP video game, Death Jr’s about the son of Death (the Grim Reaper one) and his misfit friends.  They exist in a world where they are outcasts among “normal” human beings, but not treated as anything extraordinarily out of the ordinary.  


It’s nothing special, but I did like the normalization of Death and his family.



Aww.


If I’d really read this when I originally purchased them, I don’t think I would have gotten the follow up series…


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Fine


Death Jr 2 1-3

…so it’s a good thing that I didn’t, because volume two has got some real laugh out loud moments that would have been sad to have missed.  Writer Gary Whitta digs a lot deeper into Death’s history and his industrial complex, and it’s excellent.  




Heh, "big book deal."

Ah, the evil eye from the missus.

Death getting into all kinds of trouble.


Making Bureaucracy both the Fifth Horseman and the villain of the story is flat out brilliant and hilarious.  


Bureaucrary has a Tim Sale face.

LOL, "yet to actually file a complaint."

Heh, Elton John and David Bowie as Horsemen.

An unexpected and completely welcome level up to the previous volume.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Pretty good


No comments:

Post a Comment