Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Fables: Wolf Among Us

Fables: Wolf Among Us 6-16

The trades came in the mail today and I finished off the series.  My thoughts:

  • Sixteen issues is waaaay too long for this murder mystery.  It lost momentum after the Ichabod Crane reveal turned out to be a red herring (around issue 8).  And there are still another two or three red herring twists after that.  Waaaay too long.

  • Bloody Mary’s origin is terrifying.  Excellent work by writers Matthew Sturges and Dave Justus.  

  • The Girl with Ribbon story has scared the shit of me since I was in elementary school.  It’s still scary as fuck.

  • The ending confused the hell out of me.  It’s been years since I played the game, and I didn’t remember the twist at all.  I had to look it up online since the comic did such a shitty job of explaining it.  And even now, I have no idea what the deal is with the ring the Crooked Man’s putting on Nerissa/Faith.

  • The five rotating artists somehow manage to make it work.  Just barely.


I don’t regret buying these issues, I definitely wanted to see how this ended.  It’s still not as strong as the main title, but it’s one of the few non-Bill Willingham spin offs that’s worth keeping.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Nice


That’s it for Vertigo Box 6!

Box Summary

Time spent reading: 19 hours, 47 minutes

Issues read: 142

Issues cut: 0

Highlights (Good or better): Fairest 1-6; Fable 141-150, Watchmen; Before Watchmen: Minutemen


Project Summary:

Time spent reading: 54 days, 3 hours, 7 minutes

Issues read: 11280

Issues cut: 1154


No comments:

Post a Comment