Monday, July 11, 2022

Heroines, How Loathsome, Polly and the Pirates

Heroines 1-3

Meh.  Ted Naifeh’s take on a team of superheroines who come from all walks of life.  It’s got a few nice character designs, but is otherwise completely forgettable.  It’s not boring enough to cut, but I’m unlikely to read this again.


Ugh, worst typo.

And it isn't even a mistake, because he does it twice.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Fine


How Loathsome

I bought this because I’d read great reviews about this.  It turns out I’m not in the market for a slice of life story about a transgender drug addict meandering through the streets and parties of San Francisco.  Not that the story by Naifeh and Tristan Crane is poorly written (there are actually some really nice turns of phrase: “Little by little I began to drown in obsession.”), but there isn’t anything that makes me want to latch on to these characters.  I don’t like them, and while that isn’t necessary for a good comic, the story isn’t engaging enough either.  Still, it’s worth keeping around.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Fine


Polly and the Pirates 1-6

This is in the running for Most Charming Comic Book Ever.  It’s an utter delight, and I can’t wait to read this with my daughter one day.


So cute sucking her thumb.


"Vervendander" is the best name ever.

Love her ladylike poise.

Emperor Norton I!

Aww.

Love that ship design, cracks me up.

Can't finish this without acknowledging the lack of feet.  An inspired decision.

Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Pure Joy


No comments:

Post a Comment