Saturday, January 22, 2022

Dune, Eternals

Dune

Wow.  I barely know what to say.  This left me with almost the exact same thoughts as Denis Villeneuve’s previous film, Blade Runner 2049: amazing, evocative moods, stunning visuals, and a meandering, dreamlike story that barely qualifies as a narrative.  


The casting is flawless, I love Timothee Chalamet as Paul Atreides.  Zendaya is always welcome, and everyone else plays their roles faultlessly.


And those sandworms.  Holy shit, I don’t know if I’ve seen anything more visually stunning in a film in ages.  So.  Cool.  


Happy I watched this, but I’ll never want to watch it again, aside from the sandworm stuff, I think.  (Similarly, there are a few Blade Runner scenes I want to revisit.)


Regret watching: No

Would watch again: No

Would buy on DVD: No

Rating: Pretty good


Eternals

Well.  So.  That was a thing.  I don’t think it deserves all the vitriol I’ve seen in passing on the internet (I’ve been trying to stay clear of all spoilers).  But director Chloe Zhao and the other writers really dug themselves a hole when they decided to have a team with ten new characters.  Even the risky Guardians of the Galaxy had half the number of members.  


I would have loved this if the characters were the X-Men or the Justice League (there are totally analogs for just about everyone), but the big fights don’t have the same emotional thrill when the fighters are total strangers.  


The cast is fine, typical of Marvel casting.  But unlike every other MCU movie, I can’t see this team interacting with any of the characters from the other movies.  The tone of this film is too other.  Not in a bad way, but it doesn’t feel like it’s of the same piece. 


There are a ton of plot holes that I don’t understand, and I don’t care enough to go through them right now.  (I’m sick, and even if I weren’t…)


Regret watching: No

Would watch again: No

Would buy on DVD: No

Rating: Fine


  1. Avengers: Endgame

  2. Captain America: Civil War

  3. Captain America: Winter Soldier

  4. Ant Man/Wasp

  5. Avengers: Infinity War

  6. Shang-Chi

  7. Black Panther

  8. Captain America: First Avenger

  9. Spider-Man: Homecoming

  10. Avengers

  11. Avengers: Age of Ultron

  12. Spider-Man: Far From Home

  13. Thor 3

  14. Black Widow

  15. Captain Marvel

  16. Ant-Man

  17. Iron Man 1

  18. Iron Man 3

  19. Doctor Strange

  20. Iron Man 2

  21. Eternals

  22. Guardians 1

  23. Guardians 2

  24. Thor

  25. Hulk

Thor 2

No comments:

Post a Comment