Sunday, January 23, 2022

Hellblazer

Hellblazer 72-83

Geez, what a horrible ending to what wasn’t the best of runs to begin with.  Garth Ennis wastes four issues putting Constantine in a fever dream that takes him across America, talking about how horrible the country is.  I don’t have a problem with the thesis, but it’s so fricking boring.  He follows it with some pointless stories about Brendan Finn, the alcoholic who turned holy water into beer.  And then the arc that wraps up the whole thing, where the First of the Fallen figures out a way around Constantine’s Catch-22 and tries to get his revenge.  (It’s not that clever.  Turns out the First was always more powerful than the rest of the Triumvirate of Hell, and he just kills them.  Seriously.)

 

I really want to cut this trade, but the completionist wants to keep the full Ennis run, even though I will never want to re-read these.  Well, as my wife says, when in doubt, keep it.

 

Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: No

Rating: Hated.  (Didn’t suck for 77-83)


Heartland 1

I know I’ve said I love Kit Ryan, but her family is too dysfunctional for me to enjoy this story.  And while I’m all for a lecture on the Ireland/England conflict, Ennis has got to find a better way to give it.  


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Fine


Hellblazer 134-140

Warren Ellis’ six issue arc about an abused, murdered ex-girlfriend of John’s is completely depressing, gruesome for its own sake, and a total waste of my time.  The single issue story that follows isn’t any better.  What an easy cut.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: No

Rating: Disliked


No comments:

Post a Comment