Thursday, December 29, 2022

Sandman

Sandman 57-64

The first half or so of “Kindly Ones.”  This was where Sandman was on current issues when I started reading it, so it’s got some Major Feels for me.  Not the best jumping on point (though I think I’d read the first three trades), but I figured it out.  Marc Hempel also took a long while to get used to.  This superhero-bred kid had never seen art like his before.  (It was like listening to Rent for the first time after a life of Phantom and Guys and Dolls.)


I love all of these castles.




Hempel draws super cute kids.

So cute eating that ice cream.

A fantastic intro to Hempel's Dream.

I want that coat.

One of my favorite Dream drawings.

I can relate to this.

Beautiful use of black and white.  And beautiful subtle smile by Hempel at the end.


Hempel draws good crazy.


I really like Corinthian II.

The distinction really makes me think.

Amazing body language by Hempel.

Heh, "gravity as a law."

He looks so vulnerable.

Gaiman is so good at this kind of prose.

But now, almost thirty years later, this is some of my favorite comics.  I’ll give it a rating after I finish it tomorrow.  (Hint: It’ll be Pure Joy.)


No comments:

Post a Comment