Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Sandman: Endless Nights

I’m reading all of the ancillary Sandman comics I have before I finish out the main comic (Kindly Ones and on).  I really want Sandman 75 to be last thing I read for this project.


Sandman: Endless Nights

Neil Gaiman returned to the world of Sandman seven years after the last issue with this hardcover.  Seven short stories to cover the seven Endless.  The lineup of artists is stunning; Glenn Fabry, Milo Manara, Frank Quitely, P Craig Russell, and Bill Sienkiewicz do some amazing work.  Miguelanxo Prado and Barron Storey, whom I’d never heard of before, are just as good.  


Unfortunately, the writing isn’t up to snuff.  I’ve always maintained that Gaiman peaked with the original Sandman run, and this does nothing to disabuse me of that opinion.  Nothing here adds to the canon in any meaningful way; I’ve never returned to this, didn’t remember anything from it, and I’ll most likely forget everything here once more in a couple of weeks.  


Great art, though.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: No

Rating: Didn’t suck


No comments:

Post a Comment