Thursday, August 11, 2022

Sandman

Sandman

The Netflix adaptation.  Top of my head thoughts:

This really didn’t need to be made; while it’s not bad, I’ll never want to watch this instead of reading the comic again.  It doesn’t add anything significantly new or different enough to merit its existence.  


I really wonder how much I’d like this if I didn’t love the source material so much; Would the good scenes be as good without that context?  I’m sincerely skeptical.  


The casting is all over the place.  Overall, the show felt a lot like everyone’s “Acting!” instead of inhabiting the parts.  It lacks a realness that I would have preferred.

Good: 

  • Jenna Coleman as Constantine.  I love her in this role.

  • Kirby Howell-Baptiste as Death.  Not quite as perky and cheerful as the Death I pictured from the comic, but she brings a warmth and gentleness to the part that I liked.

  • Boyd Holbrook as the Corinthian.  I think I liked him?  He came across as more of a likable anti-hero than a horrific nightmare.  That works for his second incarnation, but doesn’t fit here.

  • David Thewlis as Doctor Destiny.  Suitably creepy.

Not so good:

  • Tom Sturridge as Dream.  A little too emo for my tastes, but he certainly looks the part.  I warmed up to him as the series went along, but it’s possible that’s because if I was going to have to watch him for ten episodes, I might as well get used to him.  

  • Gwendoline Christie as Lucifer.  I loved this casting when it was announced.  Her performance was surprisingly lacking.

  • Patton Oswalt as Matthew.  His voice is too distinctive to blend in with the story.  I like Oswalt, but every time I heard him, I was taken out of the moment.

  • Razane Jammal as Lyta Hall.  She looks a lot like Gal Gadot, and unfortunately acts a lot like her as well.


Comments on the storytelling choices.  For the most part, I liked the changes that the writers made to the comic.  They generally made for tighter, improved stories.

Episode 1: Issue 1 of the comic.  Very by the numbers.  I like that we find out what happened to Dream’s previous raven, Jessamy.  I’m fascinated by the implication that Paul broke the binding circle on purpose.  Disappointed that they didn’t show the eternal waking sequence.  


Episode 2: Issue 2 of the comic.  I like all the changes to the Ethel Cripps/Doctor Destiny relationship.  Making Gregory the sacrifice instead of the contracts added an emotional weight to the story, and adds meaning to Goldie’s arrival.  


Episode 3: Issue 3 of the comic.  Love the change from John to Johanna Constantine.  Rachel’s addiction isn’t nearly as disturbing as the comic version, which disappointed me.  


Episode 4: Issue 4 and 5 of the comic.  I like that they changed the contest participant to Lucifer, and I like the visualization of the battle.  Sturridge drops the ball with his awesome final retort to Lucifer.  Absolutely stunned that Dee didn’t kill Rosemary (played by Ted Lasso psychologist Sarah Niles!) and even gave her his amulet of protection.  I’m fine with the change.


Episode 5: Issue 6 and 7 of the comic.  I was really really curious to see how they’d do “24 Hours.”  It worked on a surface, hitting most of the beats.  The slow burn at the beginning is really effective, but the script rushes through the brutal bits.  Not that I’m eager to watch all the gore, but one of the things that makes the comic so effective is the prolonged torment that Dee inflicts upon the diners.  Like most of the show, it somehow fails to pluck the emotional string that would make it resonate in the soul.  


Episode 6: Issue 8 and 13 of the comic.  The show pretty much nails “Sound of Her Wings.”  The death of the baby affected me way more now that I’m a dad.  But once again, it doesn’t add much to the source.  Same with the Hob Gadling part.  I’m thrilled that they included it, and I find that I like softer Dream.  But I’d just as soon read the comic again.


Episode 7-10: The rest of “Doll’s House,” minus the Nada story.  I really like the Lyta Hall changes, as well as the switch from Brute and Glob to whatever that new shapeshifter’s called.  I like the idea of a nightmare who wishes she was a dream.  Nice job w/ the Cereal Convention, but it’s more of the same complaints with it.


I’ll happily take more seasons of this, just to see how it gets executed, and it’s not like it’s a chore to watch.  But I neither want or need it the way I do with the MCU.


Regret watching: No

Would watch again: Yes

Would buy on DVD: No

Rating: Nice

No comments:

Post a Comment