Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Loki, American Way 2

Loki

Holy god, what a failure of a final episode.  This was poised to be the best of the three Marvel shows so far, but that finale completely ruined it.


What I Liked:

  • Tom Hiddleston crushes it here.  He’s a phenomenal actor, and this let him showcase all of his skills.

  • Sophia Di Martino as Sylvie rocks it pretty hard as well.

  • Loki falls in love with herself!  I need more of this in the future; this relationship raises so many questions and things to consider, and I’m a total fan.

  • All of the Loki introspection.  Again, totally sold by Hiddleston.

  • The concept of timeline pruning and the War of the Multiverse.

  • Alligator Loki


What I Disliked:

  • Jonathan Majors as Kang.  I HATED him the entire time.  His ‘quirky’ offbeat demeanor did nothing but piss me off.  It wasn’t amusing, threatening, ominous, or anything else that would make him an intriguing villain.  It’s a complete failure of casting; Conceptually Kang and his plot here are super solid.  Majors just sucks here.

  • The ending.  This is a mid-season finale at best, and is no way a season ender; You can’t end a season with zero resolution.  Sylvie killing Kang provided no catharsis to either her or me as a viewer, and everything else is a cliffhanger.  That’s a writing room failure. 


I’ve rarely been this mad at a piece of entertainment.  Just thinking about it pisses me off.


Regret watching: No

Would watch again: Yes until the final episode

Would buy on DVD: No

Rating: Good, Hated the final episode


American Way: Those Above and Those Below 1-6

Yeah, this isn’t nearly as good as the original series.  Here, the surviving heroes of American Way are muddling along as best they can.  The story muddles along just as much until the final issue, when they all realize they were wrong and either die or change their world view.  It barely feels like a story, and I’m only keeping it because future me might want to revisit what happens.  


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: No

Rating: Didn’t suck


No comments:

Post a Comment