Friday, July 16, 2021

Cobra, Astro City

Cobra 13-16

I’m continuing to pick up the Mike Costa trades as I come across them.  This continues to be such a great take on the IP, taking something I loved as a child and letting it grow up along with me.  


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Pretty good


Astro City 1-6

I had no idea Kurt Busiek’s total Astro City output totalled over a hundred issues.  And the thing is, outside of the first twenty issues or so, I don’t remember very much of it at all.  So I’m hoping I didn’t buy eighty issues of this because of inertia.  


But what a spectacular start.  The first issue is absolute brilliance, showing the heroism of Samaritan and the sacrifice he makes to be that hero; He can’t waste a single second of his life to frivolity, unable to enjoy even the bliss of flying.  It’s a wonderful character study.






Issue two also stands out as a lesson on what journalists should aspire to, the ideal of reporting only the truth.  





The rest are not up to the same level, not to say that they aren’t good reads.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Pretty good (Really good for issue one)


Astro CIty ½

This may be my favorite single issue of comics ever.  Ever.  It’s the most heartbreaking yet hopeful love story I’ve ever read.  The injustice of it all is soul crushing, but the last page still manages to end on a reassuring note.  It’s a perfect blend of emotions.


I gasp every time I read this, knowing what's to come.


It's so tragic, and so beautiful.

Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Pure joy


Astro City 1-3

I’m worried that the entirety of my Astro City reviews are going to be like this one: I enjoyed reading these issues, but I don’t really have a lot to say about them.  Here, Astra Furst goes on a mission to learn hopscotch.  It’s a cute little story, but that’s about it.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Pretty good


No comments:

Post a Comment