Monday, July 12, 2021

Black Widow movie

Black Widow

I’m so behind on my TV/movie reviews, but let’s do the Marvel movie first.


First of all, it’s about damn time.  Scarlett Johansson has had this coming for far too long.  At least she gets to leave the MCU with her own film.


Things I liked:

FLORENCE PUGH!  If she’s truly going to be sticking around for at least a couple of movies, I’m all in.  The vest discussion!  The pose mocking!  Involuntary hysterectomy!  (Not funny when you think about it, but she really sold that scene.)  Her pain at the family dinner table.  There’s so much that I love about her character.  


She also reminds me of another actress, but I can’t for the life of me come up with who it is.  Maybe a cross of Sabrina Carpenter and Hayden Pannetierre?


[INSERT PICS]


Always great to see Rachel Weisz.  I swear they didn’t need any kind of de-aging technology in the flashback sequence.  


We finally find out what happened in Budapest.  (Pesht.)  


Some really nice action scenes.


The genuine emotion at the beginning of the post-credits sequence.  Yelena’s pain felt real.


Things I didn’t like:

Not the biggest fan of Red Guardian.  I get him talking w/ a Russian accent, but the broken grammar makes no sense when he was speaking perfect English at the start of the film.  


Poor pig!


I liked seeing Taskmaster mimic Avenger fighting styles, but the silent Terminator nature was lame, as was the way the final battle ended.


The generic Marvel big explosion ending.  


Two scenes in and I’m a huge non-fan of Julia Louis-Dreyfus’s character.  Her quippy, irreverent attitude should fit right into the MCU, but it really rubs me the wrong way.


Widow deserves a better final scene.  The one here was pretty blah.  And for all the talk about shifting away from Widow’s sexualization in her earlier movies, there are an awful lot of Johannson butt shots in this film, including our final look at her.  


Final analysis: I’m really glad they made this movie, I just wish it wasn’t her last.  Let’s see where it falls in the list:


  1. Avengers: Endgame

  2. Captain America: Civil War

  3. Captain America: Winter Soldier

  4. Ant Man/Wasp

  5. Avengers: Infinity War

  6. Black Panther

  7. Captain America: First Avenger

  8. Spider-Man: Homecoming

  9. Avengers

  10. Spider-Man: Far From Home

  11. Thor 3

  12. Avengers: Age of Ultron

  13. Black Widow

  14. Captain Marvel

  15. Ant-Man

  16. Iron Man 1

  17. Iron Man 3

  18. Iron Man 2

  19. Doctor Strange

  20. Guardians 1

  21. Guardians 2

  22. Thor

  23. Hulk

  24. Thor 2


Regret watching: No

Would watch again: Yes

Would buy on DVD: Yes

Rating: Pretty good


No comments:

Post a Comment