Wednesday, November 16, 2022

She-Hulk, Black Panther 2

She-Hulk

This is such a fun show.  It’s unlike anything else Marvel has done, which is really welcome.  Even better, it’s done really well.  This is a flat out comedy that doesn’t skimp on the character exploration of Jennifer Walters, perfectly portrayed by the delightful Tatiany Maslany.  


Things I liked:

  • Tatiana Maslany.  Her depiction of Jennifer’s insecurities is absolutely winning, along with every other aspect of her personality.  This show succeeds because of her.

  • “Captain America fuuuuuuuuu-”

  • Tim Roth’s Emil Blonsky.  I’m so impressed that the unmemorable villain from the unmemorable Hulk movie has undergone a complete rehabilitation both as a character and creatively.

  • The sharing circle.  What a supportive group of people!

  • Daredevil’s back!  And like the comic version, Charlie Cox shows here that he can be played both dark/broody and with tons of charm and humor.  I want more of him and Jennifer.  Power couple!

  • Wong is always welcome.  He’s the Agent Coulson everyman of Phase 4.

  • Patty Guggenheim as Madisynn.  She takes someone who could very easily be annoying and repulsive and makes her hilarious and endearing instead.  

  • The fridging joke.  (Not the concept of fridging, but that they made a reference to it at all.)

  • The fourth wall breaking as a whole, that entire final episode in specific.  I can’t believe they went there, and I love that they did.


Things I didn’t like

  • Jameela Jamil as Tahani is my favorite person on Good Place, so it crushed me when her character did nothing for me.  

  • Intelligencia.  People like that suck in real life and they suck on screen.


Regret watching: No

Would watch again: Yes

Would buy on DVD: Yes

Rating: Really good


Updated TV rankings:

  1. She-Hulk

  2. Hawkeye

  3. Wandavision

  4. Ms Marvel

  5. Loki

  6. Falcon/Winter Soldier

  7. Moon Knight


Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

I didn’t like this as much as I wanted to.  Let’s get down to it:


Things I liked:

  • I really wish Letitia Wright wasn’t an anti-vaxxer.  It puts such a damper on her performance, which is really, really good.  Shuri has to deal with so much grief in this film, and Wright portrays all of it brilliantly, along with her anger, joy, and everything in between.

  • Handling Chadwick Boseman’s death and incorporating T’Challa’s passing into the story.  Tastefully done, and I really felt his presence throughout the film.  (Not in a bad way.)  The opening funeral and Shuri’s quiet remembrance at the end, along with the end credits reveal, were all beautiful and truly touching.

  • M’Baku continues to rule, and he shows unexpected depth here as he provides counsel to Riri.

  • Angela Bassett is a force of nature.

  • The costumes.  Gorgeous.  And Shuri’s Black Panther costume is totally sick.  


Things I’m undecided on:

  • I like the casting of Dominique Thorne as Riri Wiliams.  I loved watching Riri science geeking out with Shuri, definitely more of that, please.  But the Ironheart aspect of it was surprisingly underwhelming.  It didn’t really fit with the tone of the film.

  • Namor.  He’s got valid points, and while I find him to be one of the MCU’s more three-dimensional characters, I never found myself caring about him at all.

  • Related to that, I found most of the underwater scenes meh.

  • All the fight scenes.  Nothing memorable.


Things I didn’t like:

  • Rarely do I ever complain about the length of an MCU movie.  As far as I’m concerned, the longer the better.  But this movie was way too long.  Things that could have gone:

  • All the Martin Freeman/Julia Louis-Dreyfus stuff.  Obviously included to set up Thunderbolts and whatnot, it didn’t add anything to the movie.  

  • Okoye’s armor at the end.  Completely unnecessary.  Okoye doesn’t need that shit.


Regret watching: No

Would watch again: Yes 

Would buy on DVD: No

Rating: Nice


  1. Avengers: Endgame

  2. Captain America: Civil War

  3. Captain America: Winter Soldier

  4. Spider-Man: No Way Home

  5. Ant Man/Wasp

  6. Avengers: Infinity War

  7. Shang-Chi

  8. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

  9. Captain America: First Avenger

  10. Spider-Man: Homecoming

  11. Avengers

  12. Thor: Love and Thunder

  13. Avengers: Age of Ultron

  14. Black Panther

  15. Spider-Man: Far From Home

  16. Thor: Ragnarok

  17. Iron Man 2

  18. Captain Marvel

  19. Black Widow

  20. Ant-Man

  21. Iron Man 1

  22. Iron Man 3

  23. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

  24. Doctor Strange

  25. Guardians 1

  26. Guardians 2

  27. Eternals

  28. Thor

  29. Hulk

  30. Thor 2

No comments:

Post a Comment