Sunday, June 26, 2022

Fables, Scalped

Fairest in All the Land

Cinderella and the Magic Mirror solve a murder mystery while wrapping up the Goldilocks story.  (Finally.  Never been a fan of this character in this title.)  Cinderella’s one of Bill Willingham’s standout characters, and I’m happy that she’s back in the Fables return.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Pretty good


Fables: Wolf Among Us 1-5

Based on the Telltale video game, which I remember liking while retaining none of the details.  I originally stopped buying this after five issues (out of sixteen), presumably because I got bored with it.  


This time around, I’m having a lot more fun with it.  I think it reads a lot better in one go; it’s way harder to keep all the details of a complex murder mystery straight when it’s interupted for thirty days every twenty pages. 


I’ve ordered the rest of the series, looking forward to reading the rest of it.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Pretty good


Batman vs Bigby 1-2

This was a questionable proposition from the beginning, and I only bought it because Willingham was the one doing the writing.  My original thoughts stand.  I quit this at the right time.  I’m still keeping it, though, because it’s still Fables, and I might want to finish reading this at some point in the future.  


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Didn’t suck


Scalped 1-5

I have three trades of this, but I have practically no recollection of it.  I originally picked it up because of positive reviews and Jason Aaron’s name on the cover.


Reading it this time around, it’s got so much in common with Aaron’s later Southern Bastards.  Prodigal son returns after years away to find his old stomping grounds run by a corrupt, older man who pretty much owns the town.  Death, intrigue, and machinations follow.  


This original iteration isn’t as good (so far) as the later one.  I don’t care about what happens to any of these characters, they’re pretty much all reprehensible people.  And Aaron doesn’t do nearly as good of a job of making them interesting enough to want to follow.  He’s got another twelve issues to change my mind and convince me to buy the rest.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Fine

No comments:

Post a Comment