Sunday, April 10, 2022

Elfquest

Elfquest TPB 8

Collecting issues 5-9 of the “Kings of the Broken Wheel” arc.  After reading these, I have no desire to get the missing four issues.  Rayek kidnaps Leetah, her kids, and Skywise thousands of years into the future in order to change the past.  He wants to prevent the High Ones from ever landing on the planet, preventing their suffering but wiping the trolls and elves from existence.  It’s high level time travel shit, which really doesn’t work me in fantasy.  (As I write this, I’m reminded of Dragonlance’s Legends trilogy and how it’s one of the best time travel stories I’ve ever read.  Never mind.)


The problem is that I don’t care at all about the High Ones, and the whole story hinges on Rayek being a self-important prick who thinks he knows better than everyone else.  He’s absolutely insufferable here, and not in a good way.  It ruins any chance the story has of succeeding.  (My wife had the same reaction to Spider-Man: No Way Home, which I don’t agree with, but understand.)  


The issue with Cutter and the elves stuck in the present is really well done, showing how they move on with their lives over hundreds of years while never letting go of what they’ve lost.  And the whole thing ends as well as it can given the crummy premise.  


Overall, it was great to revisit these characters.  I do love them like old friends.  But at the same time, I’m ready to move on to the next thing.  Invincible, maybe?


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Nice 


No comments:

Post a Comment