Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Elfquest

Elfquest 1-8

I first read this in my middle school library, I have wonderful memories of it.  Years later, I found the first 32 Marvel Epic issues for 16 bucks, all the incentive I needed to pick up the rest of the Father Tree Press trades that I grew up loving.  I don’t think I’ve actually read them though, they’ve just been sitting on my shelf ever since.  (Just like From Hell, but I expect a far more positive reaction for this.)


Yeah, this is phenomenal stuff.  Reading this is like going home.  But unlike a lot of things that I first read when I was much younger, this is legit good, not just the fond nostalgic memories of a middle school kid.  It’s so well done that it took a while for me to realize why this is such an effectively entertaining comic - This first arc, for all of its drama, is a love story.  I can’t think of another comic that starts with something so unconventional.  (I’m not counting things like True Story Swear to God for obvious reasons.)  


And it totally works.  It’s a brilliant way of introducing all of the characters and the world that they live in.  The conflicts are mostly internal, not external.  Plus, it’s amazing to look at.  Wendy Pini art is gorgeously expressive from the first issue, and I find it hard to believe that this was her first comic book.  



That wolf is not happy.

Nothing like a best friend :)

The character design is excellent.  Everyone is instantly recognizable.

So much storytelling in these two pages.  So much joy.


The enthusiasm is infectious.

These four pages are such an emotionally satisfying culmination to the arc.





I remember this being good at least through the first five trades.  This is going to be fun.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Really good


No comments:

Post a Comment