Tuesday, September 6, 2022

De: Tales, Lion and the Eagle

Continuing to read through my non traditionally-sized graphic novels.  

De: Tales

After Daytripper, I went through a period of buying anything done by Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba.  (Basically this and Two Brothers, which I’ll read tomorrow.)  This is a series of short stories, mostly slice of life tales involving pretty young women.  They’re not bad, with a few clever lines, but nothing more.


“He went towards the day, missing his ‘boyfriend-in-love’ days.  It reminded him of a song he knew.  ‘Without love, I’d be nothing.’  And the boy-nothing left the girl-nothing with whom he’d had sex-nothing the previous night and spent the rest of the day thinking about love-everything.”


“You’re late.  You lost your chance to fall in love with me.”

“Then what is this, inside my heart?”

“A memory.”


I’m still not sure what I feel when I read that last exchange, but I know it’s something.  


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Nice


Lion and the Eagle 1-4

It’s nice to read about the Burma theatre of World War II, it’s an aspect of the conflict that I (and many people, apparently) know very little about.  It’s too bad that the comic lacks the exciting action of the best Garth Ennis war stories, as well as the endearing characters and conversations that make the inevitable sacrifices more touching.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Fine


No comments:

Post a Comment