Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Superman, New Comics

New comics!

Batman: The Detective 1

Tom Taylor and Andy Kubert, sounds great to me.  I could do without the Knight and Squire appearances, but the premise is solid - Someone is killing all the people Batman’s saved throughout his career.  I’m in.


Black Cat 5

The Black Fox reveals the endgame behind all of these heists, and there’s no doubt it’s not going to end with a win for him.  Writer Jed MacKay continues to entertain.


Rorschach 7

More conspiracy theories, and now Frank Miller (yes, that one) is the latest Rorschach.  It’s all heading somewhere, and unlike some of his other current titles (Strange Adventures, Batman/Catwoman), each individual issue strongly stands on its own as well.


Action Comics 1001-1007, 1015

It’s the same as his work over on Superman; Brian Michael Bendis nails the little character moments, but I could not care less about the main plot of low level criminals trying to outwit Superman.  I just don’t care at all.  Red Cloud?  Boring.  The gossip columnist at the Daily Planet?  Boring.  All the internal mafia drama?  Etc.


See my previous posts from when I first bought these issues to see the moments that worked for me.  Turns out they’re all just as good the second time around.


Still don’t regret my decision to stop buying.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Nice


Superman: Up in the Sky 1-6

I suspect my original posts from 2019 will show that my opinion of this title has not changed; Some really good stuff from Tom King and Andy Kubert.  Over half of the twelve segments in this series are among the best Superman stories I’ve read.  They can all be described in one word: Setup.  Boxing.  Healer.  Phone call (Okay, two.).  Euthanasia.  TemptationQuestions.  





What keeps this from hitting Pure Joy?  Despite his obvious humanity, this Superman is too perfect.  He doesn’t screw up, he says all the right things.  He lacks a warmth, a relatable quality that marks the absolutely best Superman stories (For All Seasons, Secret Identity).  But it’s really darn close.  


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Really good


No comments:

Post a Comment