Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Catwoman

Catwoman 0-1

Jim Balent’s Catwoman is my iconic version of the character.  That costume, drawn by that artist, is the one I grew up with as I first started collecting comics.  And yet, I only have a handful of his issues.  (The others are parts of Batman crossovers I’ll get to later.)


It’s because as fun as the art is, the stories aren’t all that standout.  That’s really all there is to it.  


Love the costume.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Fine


Catwoman 1-6

Judd Winick and Guillem March’s New 52 take on Selina.  This is a Selina who’s clearly spiralling towards disaster, barely hanging on by a thread.  (A lot like the Brubaker run, which is so good that it’s an on-the-bookshelf comic, not an in-the-box comic.)  The cherry on top is that she’s banging Batman in one of those dysfunctional, “purely about the sex because they can’t admit their feelings” kind of ways.  


I have no idea what to think about March’s art.  His Catwoman is hyper-sexualized, which isn’t really out of character, but there’s a salacious quality to it that makes me feel dirty when I look at it.  At the same time, I can’t deny that I like it.  Which doesn’t necessarily speak well of me, but I like what I like.  



More than you usually see in a DC comic.


The first arc was entertaining, but not enough for me to continue buying.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Nice


Catwoman 1-3

Catwoman has certainly gone through quite a lot of first issues.  This is the Joelle Jones one.  I was all excited to see her pencils, but like the subsequent Future State: Wonder Woman, her writing half lets her art half down.  She couldn’t convince me to care about the politician’s evil, disfigured wife, and no amount of awesome art could get me to stay.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Fine  


Future State: Catwoman 1-2
I got it for the Otto Schmidt art.  Otherwise, a pretty average Elseworlds tale.  This only came out a couple of months ago, my thoughts haven’t changed much in the meantime.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Fine


No comments:

Post a Comment