Sunday, April 18, 2021

Bendis Superman

Superman 1-7

Rogol Zaar is worse than Doomsday.  He’s just as strong and fast, just as determined to kill Superman, and he possesses an intelligence far beyond the force of nature mindlessness of Superman’s killer.  But at least Doomsday didn’t even try to pretend that he had a motivation, or go off on pointless monologues.  He came, did what he set out to do, and that was it.  (Ignoring his cash-driven returns.)  Brian Michael Bendis really couldn’t have gone more than one issue after Man of Steel before bringing him back?  


And here comes Zod (again), just as boring and destruction-driven as usual.  And here comes the never-interesting Livewire.  (I honestly deflated in despair when I saw her on the first page of issues three.)


There’s just enough Bendis humor and nice Ivan Reis art  to keep this around.  The return of Jonathan in issue seven has me mildly interested, but not enough to want to keep buying.  


Heh.  Also, great Superman execution by Reis.

Beautiful Adam Hughes colors.

Lovely promo art for Season 4 of Supergirl.


Still, when it comes to rating, I find myself admitting that I enjoyed the act of reading it more than I did any of the Jim Lee Supermans.  There’s a quality to Bendis’ writing that still entertains even when I’m hating the material.  Hence the surprisingly (even to me) high rating.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Nice


No comments:

Post a Comment