Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Superman Smashes the Klan

Superman Smashes the Klan 1-3

It’s so hard to read about racism.  It’s obviously even worse when it’s my race that’s the target in the story.  I’ve been ridiculously lucky to have not really been the target of it in my own life, and I recognize my privilege.  But with the swell of anti-Asian hate in the United States over the past year, I’ve never been more acutely aware and scared of it than I am now.  


There are lots of things you can do.  Here’s one of them: www.advancingjustice-aajc.org


Anyway, Gene Luen Yang does a good job of telling this story about a Chinese-American family, the hate they face, and how Superman’s experience is the immigrant experience.  The Gurihiru art is a perfect match for the story.  This is a wonderful, necessary comic book.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Good 

No comments:

Post a Comment