Friday, April 16, 2021

Superman

Superman 701-704

I’d forgotten about this run by JM Straczynski, but instantly remembered the concept from the first page - Superman, much like Forrest Gump, decides to start walking across America after experiencing a personal crisis.  It’s a really neat idea; Superman gets a more everyday-person view of the world, and deals with problems he might otherwise have missed.  Unfortunately, it takes a dive in quality after the first two issues, and past me quit right about when present me would have.  Cutting the last two issues.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes (No for 703-704)

Rating: Nice (Stupid for 703-704)


Action Comics 9

Grant Morrison and Gene Ha tell the story of Calvin Ellis, black Superman of a parallel world.  I love the effort, but the story is surprisingly dull, especially coming from Morrison.  I’d cut this issue if it weren’t worth a decent amount of money on Ebay.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: No

Rating: Boring


Superman Unchained 1-4

I haven’t reviewed very many Scott Snyder comics yet, but I count him among the more overrated writers out there.  His streak continues here, as even Jim Lee’s art wasn’t enough for me to get past four issues.  Also, New 52 doesn’t do much for me - Seeing young Clark and Bruce kinda creeps me out.


Issue one has a cool 2x2 page spread, something I haven’t seen in any other comic.  (They’re usually 1xX, much easier to publish.)  Unfortunately, Lee wastes them with images that would be just as fine on a single page splash.


It's a big ship.  Whee.

It's Superman awkwardly punching stuff.  Woo.


All that space would be better served with some kind of multi-character action sequence.  Imagine what George Perez would do with that much real estate!


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Fine


Superman 39

My initial review stands.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Nice


No comments:

Post a Comment