Tuesday, January 8, 2019

United States of Murder Inc

1/8/19
United States of Murder Inc 1-6
Brian Michael Bendis revived his Icon imprint when he went from Marvel to DC and started writing United States Vs. Murder, Inc, the sequel to the title I’m reviewing now.  I didn’t buy the follow up, seeing as how I didn’t even finish getting the original series.  (I have the first five, read the last issue online. If I’d known it was finishing w/ issue six, I would have gutted it out.)  

What if the mafia killed JFK, let the entire world know, and grew powerful enough to carve out their own section of the country?  That’s the backdrop for Bendis’ story, told through the eyes of Valentine Gallo, a recently anointed made man. It’s not bad, but there was nothing compelling enough for me to emotionally invest myself in.  It’s a plot driven story, not a character driven one, and Gallo’s quest to clear himself of the murder of a US senator before the CIA or mob kill him never stretches beyond entertaining.

Michael Avon Oeming’s style is similar to Bruce Timm’s, so seeing mobsters rendered in a cartoony manner isn’t too hard on the brain.  Still, it’s an interesting choice for the title, though definitely not a bad one. I do like what Oeming does in the following panels, using the reflections in the mirror to show the character’s expressions.  



Regret buying: No
Would buy again: No
Would read again: Yes
Rating: Nice

No comments:

Post a Comment