Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Blue is the Warmest Color

Blue is the Warmest Color
I’ve heard so much about the movie, I had no idea that it was originally a graphic novel.  I saw this on the library shelf and thought I’d see what all the hype is about.

It’s the coming of age story of a high school girl as she slowly realizes that she’s gay.  From that standpoint, it’s fairly standard - The mere glimpse of a blue-haired girl in a public square fuels her fantasies for months as she tries to maintain a boyfriend at the same time.  As Clementine hesitantly explores these feelings (visiting a gay bar with her gay male best friend), she also realizes that she’ll have to face blind hatred and fear from family and friends.  Her anxiety and emotional despair increases even after she befriends Emma, the girl of her dreams. (“I love her, she could never love me, etc.”) Even after they confess their feelings for each other, Clementine’s trials continue - Emma refuses to breakup with her girlfriend, Clementine’s parents kick her out of the house when they abruptly discover her sexual preference, and a whole bunch more.

There are few surprises, but it all still works beautifully.  Julie Maroh writes and draws a wonderful piece of art. Clem’s alternating anguish and joy fly off the page.  I’m a sucker for a tragic romance, and this one hits all the right notes. The ending doesn’t quite work for me - It comes too suddenly with no real opportunity for catharsis.  Maybe that’s the point, that this sort of thing rarely ends with proper closure, let alone a happy ending. Sigh. Now I’m depressed.

This is a fine graphic novel, but I don’t think I need to read it again (which isn’t to say that I wouldn’t).  Not going to buy it.

Would read again: Yes
Rating: Good

No comments:

Post a Comment