Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Cable, X-Man


Cable 15, 17-19, 22, 25, 27, 29-32, 44, 45
X-Man 14
This could be a bloodbath.  Along with early Image, the X-books formed a huge part of my initial comic collecting predilections.  My tastes, now geared more towards specific creators than characters, cared less about quality. As I read these now, I understand both why I liked these books back then and why I have no problems saying goodbye to them today.  Nostalgia and legit quality will still save a bunch of them, but I expect the cuts to come often with the contents of my X-boxes of comics.

This is a total smattering of comics, with seemingly random gaps.  From what I can tell, some of the missing issues will show up later as parts of X-crossovers (Phalanx Covenant, Legion Quest).  The common thread across the others seem to be fill-in artists. It looks as though past me already culled out the issues not drawn by Ian Churchill.  Present me fully approves. Those would undoubtedly have been cut today anyway.

Getting it out of the way, here are the reasons I’m cutting the issues I am:

Cable 31, 32, X-Man 14 - A boring crossover that pits Cable against his younger alternate reality self.  Cable’s never been interesting on his own merits, and a headstrong version of himself is completely annoying, which is even worse.  Art by Ian Churchill and Steve Skroce isn’t enough for me to want to read these ever again.

Cable 45, 46 - I bought this as part of the Zero Tolerance crossover.  Randy Green’s art sucks and Cable breaks into the X-Mansion for some reason that I couldn’t be bothered to pay attention to.

Cable 27 - I was going to cut this, because Sugar Man is a horrible character.  (Of all the awesome Age of Apocalypse reimaginings that they could have brought over, the writers selected Sugar Man, Dark Beast, and X-Man.  A wretched 0-3 on people I’m interested in reading about.) But it’s got Ian Churchill drawing Domino, and reading all these issues made me realize that this might be my favorite interpretation of her.  There’s something about the way he draws her face, I think. There’s a maturity to it that I like. Also, she’s a total badass.

That's an outfit Death would wear.



Watch Sports Night.  It explains women in dress shirts.
Less a fan of Domino in Churchill's new style.  She looks like a teenager.
Her relationship with Cable is also the most interesting thing about these issues.  They have to build their relationship back up after Cable unknowingly spent a year hooking up with Vanessa-impersonating-Domino.  They’re both clearly attracted to each other, but things keep getting in the way - time-travelling to when Cable’s dead wife is still alive, saving Morlocks, the appearance of Cable’s brainwashed son, etc.  They’re both adults, and treat the relationship as such (more or less). It makes for a fun read.

I’m keeping some of the Steve Skroce and Ian Churchill issues.  Quality art, and the stories don’t suck.

Regret buying: No (Yes for 44, 45)
Would buy again: No
Would read again: Yes (No for 30, 31, 44, 45, X-Man 14.  Cutting.)
Rating: Fine (Nice for 22, Boring for the ones I’m cutting.)

No comments:

Post a Comment