Friday, May 11, 2018

Secret Wars

Secret Wars 1-4

35 years before this...
...was this.  It's the original All-Star team.
I think this is the first trade I ever bought.  My oldest cousin, the first person I knew who collected comics, told me how the cover of issue 4 was what enticed him to buy his first comic book.  I saved it for the flight from California to Taiwan, and it was glorious. Middle school me loved it - Every major hero fighting every major villain.  An epic of colossal proportion.

I'd buy it if I saw it too.

As with most 80s Marvel comics, it doesn’t hold up well for current me.  It’s really the writing that falls flat - Everyone spends too much time expositioning, and it’s a total chore to read through.  


Standard 80s roll calls.  And the word balloons don't stop coming.
But there’s plenty of well-choreographed action and the art holds up nicely.  Mike Zeck’s execution of the Marvel style is top notch.

Nice composition.
More on this tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment