Tuesday, May 15, 2018

She-Hulk, Runaways

Just one new comic this week.
Runaways 9
That did not go how I expected.  And for the better. All the build up suggested that Molly would eat the magic cupcake, and I bit hard for Rainbow Rowell’s pump fake.  I was not looking forward to Molly making the incorrect decision, no matter how appealing it is in the short term. I’m a lot more okay with Julie Power’s unwitting consumption of the baked bit of sorcery.  It’ll still make for an interesting plot with Karolina, but with less emotional attachment from me. (I’m usually all for conflict for our heroes, but stay away from Molly.)


(I’m well aware of the irony that I want Molly to stay innocent and fun, but don’t want her to eat the cupcake that will keep her thirteen forever.)

Doombot is excellent.

The perfect conversation.
I also sense major conflict coming up, as Victor expresses his desire to remain a disembodied head.  

She-Hulk 1-4
Another partially forgotten gem.  Dan Slott creates a flawed Jen Walters and an even more flawed She-Hulk in an efficient first issue, providing a comprehensive window into her life before tearing it all down.  

Jen joins the superhuman law division of Goodman, Lieber, Kurtzberg & Holliway, as Slott shows the world how to do meta right.  Comic books are the research tool of choice for these lawyers? Marvel books are admissible in any court of law? I’m sold.

Though there’s a massive plot hole that I thought of in the shower.  If Marvel comics exist in the the Marvel universe (as stories licensed by the real heroes, naturally), then all secret identities would be a matter of public record as well.  Which negates, among other things, the firm suing Peter Parker on behalf of Spider-Man. Whatever. I choose to suspend all my disbelief, the idea is just too delicious.

Awesome Andy is awesome.  I’m sure I’ll be bringing him up in the next few days.

Juan Bobillo is a perfect fit.  He doesn’t make She-Hulk a skinny supermodel, and draws her as the muscular behemoth she’s supposed to be.  And he can draw a comedic panel with the best of them. I wish he had the opportunity to do more work, he has a limited bibliography in the US.


I adore the visual flow of this panel.
Stuff like this makes me wonder if I should read more of Slott’s work.  Maybe his long, long run on Spider-Man. He certainly writes a funny Spidey here.  



And his Doctor Strange might be the biggest buzzkill ever.




Regret buying? No
Would buy again? Yes
Would read again? Yes
Rating: Good

No comments:

Post a Comment