Saturday, May 26, 2018

Spider-Gwen, One-Punch Man

One-Punch Man 1
I bought One-Punch Man last week because I was at the local bookstore (there are so few left nowadays!) and wanted to support it by purchasing something.  For some reason, I settled upon this. I’d heard good things about it (though I can’t recall from where…), so why not?

Meh.  Standard action manga art.  Over the top monsters with generic designs.  The conceit of a hero who’s bored because he kills everything with one punch is intriguing to me, but after seeing it in action, I’m as uninterested as Saitama.  There’s no point to any of the fights. One the writer, doesn’t even pay lip services to the concept of an overarching plot. I’m all for getting right to the fighting, but you’d better impress if you do.  (Dragonball is the number one example that comes to mind.) One-Punch Man does not.

I do love his look, though.  The bald head, the ridiculous costume, and the expressionless face amuse me.  



Edge of the Spider-Verse 2, Spider-Gwen 1-5
The costume.  Spider-Gwen is all about that amazing, unbelievably cool costume.  I love that it’s Gwen Stacy beneath the mask, but it could be anyone and I’d still have given this title a shot.  

Robbi Rodriguez
Cliff Chiang

Everything about it sings to me:
  1. The hoodie!  It all starts with the hoodie and the red web lining.
  2. Combined with the white mask, it creates an eerieness that’s very much in contrast to Gwen Stacy’s sweetness.  
  3. The solid white upper top in stark juxtaposition to the black bottom half.  
  4. Defying all sense, teal boots.  So perfect.  

I can look at this thing all day.

J Scott Campbell

Kris Anka

Which makes it so sad that the comic itself isn’t more interesting.  It’s not all that different from Spider-Girl. It’s a little more focused on her battles with the local villains, as opposed to school/family drama, but that’s about it.  

Comparing them to another teenaged Spidey, why do the adventures of Miles Morales succeed where these sputter?  Bendis is the obvious answer, but is that the only one? Something to consider. Anyway. I don’t own any more issues after this trade, and I’m still not interested in reading more.  But I will keep on looking at the pretty pictures and buying the statues.

Own it.

Buying it.
Sara Pichelli.

Regret buying? No
Would buy again? No
Would read again? Yes
Rating: Fine

No comments:

Post a Comment