Thursday, May 31, 2018

Amazing Spider-Man

Amazing Spider-Man 96-98, 121-122
The Death of Gwen Stacy.  Unlike the Stan Lee Fantastic Four, this really holds up.  Its status as a classic holds up, not just from an ideas/plot standpoint, but from an execution one as well.  Even knowing how it's going to end, I was still enthralled and reading as fast as I could. Her death does not get any easier, no matter how many times I read it.  

The trade that I read these issues in also included an epilogue by JM DeMatteis and John Romita Sr.  I don't know when it originally appeared. Peter Parker recalls the last date he went on with Gwen. He fully acknowledges that his memory may have exaggerated the perfection of that night and their final kiss.  

“And maybe I’m still trying to find meaning - and some long-sought consolation - where none really exists.  But it really doesn’t matter. Because if I choose to believe that’s how it was - then that’s how it was.”

And who are any of us to deny him that?

Regret buying? No
Would buy again? Yes
Would read again? Yes
Rating: Good

No comments:

Post a Comment