Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Secret Warriors

Secret Warriors 1-6
I don’t know what compelled me to buy this title.  This might have been back when Jonathan Hickman still had enough hype to attract my interest.  (His work at Image intrigued me with their promise, even though they never completely delivered.)  My memories of Secret Warriors are fuzzy. I liked it enough to buy the trades for the whole series, but not enough to ever read it a second time.  
Things are off to a good start.  Hickman focuses on Nick Fury and his machinations, a good decision.  Fury as puppet master is a good look for him, and his ability to stay a step or two ahead of everyone is very Jason Bourne.  It’s also nice to see that the leaders of Hydra are not without their own skills, and they have some tricks up their sleeves as well.  Contessa Allegra de Fontaine is the new Madame Hydra, nice!

Hickman spends a lot less attention on the actual team, which is fine for now.  It’s weird seeing Yo-Yo lose her arms in the third issue, having seen the TV Yo-Yo go through the same trauma just a few weeks ago.  Similar to Quake, the Yo-Yo on Agents of SHIELD is far more established as the canon version in my head. Indeed, I had completely forgotten that she existed in the comics, and her maiming was far less emotionally impactful on the page than on the screen.  Outside of a few diary entries, I’d had no change to get to know her as a character.

Issue 4 marks the first appearance of Eden Fesi, whom I remember from Hickman’s Avengers run, but not this.  He’s got a sweet look and sweet powers, but I don’t remember much more about him. (It’s not speaking well of this series, that I recollect so little about it.)

I like Stefano Caselli’s art so far.  He provides striking pages that accentuate some nice one-liners from Hickman.

Only one reaction comes to mind:


Dude, he scared off the God of Fear.


So.  Cold.
Regret buying? No
Would buy again? Yes
Would read again? Yes
Rating: Pretty good

No comments:

Post a Comment