Thursday, August 12, 2021

Shadecraft

Shadecraft 1-5

I was expecting great things from this after Joe Henderson and Lee Garbett’s amazing, super fun collaboration on Skyward.  And while Shadecraft isn’t bad, it isn’t nearly as good.  It’s missing the sense of wonder from the previous series, seeing as how it’s rooted in the mundanities of high school drama and family life.  (Which can be a totally rich genre on it’s own, but Henderon doesn’t do more than surface level work with it.)


Same for the art by Garbett - It’s undeniably beautiful, but it doesn’t have the extra kick that made Skyward one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen. 


This is the end of Book One, I have no idea if I’d get Book Two if it ever comes out.  Probably not, since I wouldn’t buy this again?


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Nice


No comments:

Post a Comment