Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Waid Daredevil

Daredevil 1-15 ,0.1, 1.50

I don’t know what’s up with all these decimal issues.  Anyway, the move to San Francisco has rejuvenated Mark Waid’s writing just as much as Matt Murdock’s life.  These issues are so much better than everything in volume 3.  The humor’s funnier and the emotions hit a little harder.


Nice cover by Jerome Opena

Neat cover.

MAJOR retcon from Mark Waid...

...because getting hit by his dad is a huge part of Matt's origin.

Amazing look at post partum depression.  It's a real thing.

Great scene with the Purple Man and his kids.


Love him getting his comeuppance.


Heh.

Double heh.

I really wish this relationship lasted.

I actually like the suit on its own, but holy cringe.

This has to be a Romita Jr homage...

...from Man Without Fear.

The whole time I was reading this, I thought, "Waid's really sounding like Bendis here..."


I checked out issues 16-18 online to see how all of this ends.  It’s not bad, and I’ll pick them up if I ever see them for cheap.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Fine to Pretty Good to Nice


So I’ve decided to keep all of volume 4 and cut everything from volume 3 except for the first six issues (the first trade).  Sigh.  That’s six trades I could have saved money on.  


Box Summary

Time spent reading: 25 hours, 56 minutes

Issues read: 256

Issues cut: 56

Highlights (Good or better): Daredevil v1 168-172, 174-176, 178-179, 181-190, 227-233; Daredevil: Love and War; Elektra Lives Again; Daredevil: Man Without Fear; Daredevil v2 5, 9-11, 26-64, 66-87.  That’s 99 issues, a staggeringly high percentage.  It’s like half the box after removing the cut issues.


Project Summary:

Time spent reading: 51 days, 15 hours, 35 minutes

Issues read: 10798

Issues cut: 1152


No comments:

Post a Comment