Saturday, March 12, 2022

Starman, New comics

New comics!

Superman: Son of Kal-El 9

A great crossover issue that sadly doesn’t get me back on board the Son of Kal-El train.  It’s Nightwing who makes this so fun, not Jon.


Gorgeous pencils and colors.

Lovely choreography.

Heh.

Double heh.


Punisher 1

So I heard Marvel was getting rid of the Punisher’s signature skull emblem.  (Which I don’t mind in concept, but the replacement logo is hideous.)  And then I heard that they’re making Frank head of The Hand.  Yes, the ninjas.  Even worse.  I wasn’t going to give it a second thought, but then I saw that Jason Aaron was doing the writing.  He did such a standout job with Punisher MAX (practically on par with Ennis’ run, which I would have thought impossible) that I had to give it a shot.


Yeesh.  Yeah, I don’t know.  I might give it a page through in the shop when issue 2 comes out, but Punisher and the mystical really don’t mix.


Seven Secrets 15

Whodathunk that Titus’ death would be so touching?  The big reveal at the end isn’t as shocking as Tom Taylor probably wants it to be.  Still entertaining, but really not his best work.


Captain Carter 1

Every bit as fun as I want it to be.  The fact that it’s a five-issue mini guarantees that I’m on board.


Starman 12-17

The “Sins of the Child” arc, a sweet story where a lot of things happen - Jack’s son is conceived, Ted sustains the injury that gives him a terminal illness, Mikaal relearns English, plus it’s just a rollicking good time.


Amazing body language from Tony Harris in that last panel.

That's...very vivid imagery.

So badass.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Good


Starman 18-19

A Times Past and Talking with David, both of which are just so so.  These aren’t the best this time around, but there’s something to be said for all of the world building that James Robinson does with this title.  There’s a thoughtful richness to it that’s really impressive.  


But as much as I like it, I have to say that I’m not a fan of the Shade Journals.  Despite my praise for Robinson’s writing yesterday, I find that I don’t have the patience for it in prose form.  


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Nice


No comments:

Post a Comment