Monday, February 14, 2022

Strangers in Paradise

Strangers in Paradise v1 1-3

I read SiP at the perfect time in my life.  I was a sophomore in college, my head full of ideas of love and romance.  I remember picking up the “I Dream of You” trade at a sale, reading it that afternoon, and going back that evening to buy the rest of the run.  There’s so much emotion packed into the relationships between Katchoo, Francine, and David, I couldn’t get enough.  


Rereading it this time around, I’ve got the hugest rush of nostalgia and affection for these characters, but the flaws of the comic are a lot more glaring.  This first arc, in particular, really doesn’t hold up.  It’s far too broad in its humor, and the nuance that makes Katchoo so endearing is drowned out by her insanely violent reactions to everything.  Sure, Freddie Femur deserves all of it, but I don’t find anything funny about that level of aggression.


What definitely ages well is Terry Moore’s art.  While the polish isn’t there yet, there’s no doubt about his ability to draw drama, slapstick, and a variety of realistic human bodies.  (Something that you don’t see enough of on the comic page.)  And it’ll only get better from here, as will the rest of the comic.  


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Nice


Strangers in Paradise v2 1-13

Terry Moore introduces the crime aspect of the story, with Darcy Parker and her empire.  I’ve honestly always found this to be the least interesting part of SiP; it always distracted from the Katchoo/Francine interactions, which is really what I was there for.  To quote Alisa Kwitney in her forward, “And this is why these four issues are probably my very favorites: Because they focus solely on the triangle of Katchoo, Francine, and David and the age-old story of love unrequited, love sort-of-requited, and love that might be requited if you play your cards right.”  Lord knows I lived my college years with that last kind of love.


This time through it’s the individual moments that stand out, the scenes and panels that made me love this series so much.  I think that they sustained me through the weaker parts of the story, but they aren’t as successful at it now as they were in the past.  But let’s be clear: They are still just as magical today.


Something about this photo is so iconic to the series.

And so it begins...

Love the last phrase.


Tara Chace painted like this in yesterday's post.

I love this handwriting, with the flourish on the 'y's.

Just a cute exchange.

I've always loved that response.


That last line.  Perfection.


Amazing storytelling.


It’s not a good sign that I wasn’t that enthused when I realized this was the next thing up in the project; My remembered love for this series didn’t align with my desire to read it again.  (It’s like this for Bone as well.)  I think it’s because both series weren’t able to maintain their strong starts, and the bulk of the story doesn’t live up to the promise of the first couple years.  


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Good


No comments:

Post a Comment