Friday, February 25, 2022

Ennis comics

Enemy Ace 1-2

It’s hard for me to pinpoint the difference in ratings for all of these Garth Ennis comics.  Everything runs between Pretty Good and Really Good, and while I can’t really articulate what sets them apart from each other, there’s definitely a variation in my enjoyment of these.  (Though let’s be honest, I’ve been having a blast with all of them.)


Anyway, this is a revival of a DC property.  WWII German ace pilot who fights for his country, not his leaders, yadda yadda.  This is great stuff.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Really good


Johnny Red 1-8

A revival of an old British character.  WWII British ace pilot who fights with the Soviets (who fight for their country, not their leaders, yadda yadda.)  


Not only is this a sweet story, it’s got a wonderful wrapper where Johnny’s Hurricane is getting restored by a dot com millionaire.  It adds a surprisingly sweet coda to the story.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Good


Jimmy’s Bastards 1-6

I was completely planning to cut this before the re-read; I stopped buying this with three issues to go and remembered it as completely stupid.  Something about men and women switching genitalia and other nonsense.


Instead, I find this surprisingly entertaining and amusing.  


I've never heard anything so vulgar and hilarious.


Jimmy Regent’s partner, Nancy McEwan, brings a refreshing mix of competence and no-nonsense that balances out all the ridiculousness.  


I don’t care enough about how this ends to get the issues I’m missing, but I’m not going to dump these, either.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Pretty good


Red Team 1-7

An elite team of cops go vigilante and start killing the bad guys who really deserve it.  Then things go wrong because of course they do.  Ennis is so good at this kind of thing.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Good


No comments:

Post a Comment