Sunday, October 10, 2021

New Comics

New comics!

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow 4

This is a special series, even by Tom King standards.  He can be so good at the two-page mini-story, using it to capture yet another aspect of Supergirl and what makes her great.  It struck me today that the writing style he uses is reminiscent of Laura Ingalls Wilder or Lucy Maud Montgomery.  There’s a refined, old school elegance to his language that works beautifully here.



This is very Clark Kent.

But this is where Kara differs from him.  She's harder.


Nightwing 84

Crossing over to Fear State, the event going on over in Batman, I presume.  Robbie Rodriguez does a great job filling in, I love his kinetic, lean style.  There’s Otto Schmidt and Sean Murphy in there.


Batman vs Bigby 1

I got this out of my love for Fables, but even with original writer Bill Willingham at the helm, I have to say that I’m not feeling this.  It reads more like a lesser Jack of Fables spin off than something from the master.  I might want to cancel this before I get in too deep.


Black Widow 11

Lovely art as usual, but this time it’s from Rafael de Latorre.  Between this and Captain Marvel, Kelly Thompson is really cornering the market on awesome all-women teams.  Though it would be really nice if she weren’t the only one.


Seven Secrets 12

I think that’s it for me.  Twelve issues in, and this has done very little for me, despite the colorful, beautiful art.  I just don’t care about any of these people.


Rorschach 12

Annnd, that’s it?  I mean, it’s well done from a craft POV, but it’s a little underwhelming.  I think it’ll be much better on the re-read.  


That’s it for all the non-Spider-Man Ultimates titles, it fills one box!  I’m not sure if I’m moving on to that Bendis run or something else.  It’s a lot of Spider-Man to be starting, no matter how good it is.  

Box summary

Time spent reading: 22 hours, 25 minutes

Issues read: 238

Issues cut: 42

Highlights (Good or better): Ultimate X-Men 1-6, 40-45, 58, Ultimate War, Ultimate Fantastic Four 1-12, Ultimates, Ultimates 4 1-12


Project Summary:

Time spent reading: 42 days, 21 hours, 42 minutes

Issues read: 9001

Issues cut: 1074


No comments:

Post a Comment