Monday, August 19, 2019

Serenity, Shaolin Cowboy, Sidekicks, Skybourne, Smoke and Mirrors

Serenity: Leaves on the Wind 1
This is the only Serenity comic that I’m keeping, which I didn’t expect - Georges Jeanty’s presence on art alone puts it in a pretty deep whole.  But Zack Whedon manages to capture a little bit extra. Maybe I like seeing what happens after Serenity rather than gap-filling stories where I know how it ultimately ends.    

Regret buying: No
Would buy again: No
Would read again: Yes
Rating: Fine

Shaolin Cowboy 1
Few people can get away with a first issue that’s nothing but an extended fight scene preceded by 10 straight pages of people standing in a line.  I guess Geoff Darrow’s one of those people. I don’t need to read more of this, but the detail and the artistry deserves to be kept around.

Ten.

Whole.

Pages.

Of.

A line.

Regret buying: No
Would buy again: No
Would read again: Yes
Rating: Fine

Sidekicks 1-2
Hogwarts for teenage sidekicks, published by Fanboy Comics (???).  The creative team would go on to greater things - J. Torres would write for Marvel and DC (though I still like him best for his inaugural work Copybook Tales), Takeshi Miyazawa would draw for Runaways and Mary Jane, and C.B. Cebulski is now editor in chief of Marvel.  This comic is fine in concept, ho-hum in execution. (Man, there’s a bunch of “Fine” comics in this box that still aren’t good enough to keep.  Maybe I need to revisit my rating system.)

Regret buying: No
Would buy again: No
Would read again: No
Rating: Fine (Cutting)

Skybourne 1-3
I bought this for the Frank Cho art.  I stopped when I got bored by the uninspired story about Merlin, dragons, and a mopey guy who keeps getting his ass kicked.  

Regret buying: No
Would buy again: No
Would read again: Yes
Rating: Fine (I can’t in good conscience rate Cho’s art any lower than that, regardless of the writing.)

Smoke and Mirrors 1-5
I absolutely love the concept - A sleight-of-hand magician is somehow transported to a world where magic has replaced the laws of physics.  It’s a remarkably rich idea, full of amazing possibilities. And...Mike Costa wrote this??? The guy who did such a fabulous job on GI Joe?  I find it hard to believe that the same writer wasted this brilliant setup on an annoying brat of a kid and a power hungry Steve Jobs-type sorcerer.  So disappointed.

Regret buying: No
Would buy again: No
Would read again: No
Rating: Didn’t suck (Cutting)

No comments:

Post a Comment