Sunday, August 25, 2019

Hi-Fi FIght Club, Infinite Kung Fu

Hi-Fi Fight Club 1,3
The randomness of a bunch of teenage girls running an underground fight club in the basement of the record shop they all work at was fun enough of a concept to try this out.  I probably would have kept buying this if I hadn’t missed the second issue when it came out. I just read a copy of the third issue online, and I don’t regret missing out.

Regret buying: No
Would buy again: No
Would read again: Yes
Rating: Fine

Infinite Kung Fu 1-7
I really enjoyed this when it first came out, and I always wondered why it stopped mid-storyline with issue seven.  It wasn’t until years later that creator Kagan McLeod completed the story in a collected graphic novel with 200 new pages of story.  But by then, I’d lost interest in the title and didn’t think the trade was a worthwhile investment.  

Rereading this fifteen year later, I stand by my decision.  I’m actually a huge fan of what McLeod’s done with Infinite Kung Fu - He’s taken his love for low budget Hong Kong martial arts movies and created a lovely comic book homage to them.  His art’s perfectly suited for the task, and the story’s wonderfully evokes the cheesy nature of the source material.  Heck, he’s even inspired me to watch some really old Yuen Woo Ping movies right now as I right this.  

The problem is that the source material was never that good.  They could be fun and exciting, but the exception of a few classics, the ceiling of the movies from that era was only so high.  Similarly, the comic has that same limitation. It’s a blast to read at the beginning, but once the initial novelty wears off, there’s nothing left to sustain it.

Still, I’m really happy that McLeod undertook this clear labor of love.  While it wasn’t my perfect cup of tea, I’m glad that it exists in the world.

Regret buying: No
Would buy again: No
Would read again: No
Rating: Fine

No comments:

Post a Comment