Sunday, August 11, 2019

RASL, The Assignment

RASL 1-12
The incomparable Jeff Smith’s followup to the epic Bone.  In a far departure from his magnum opus, he’s gone for a 15-issue science fiction story about a parallel dimension-jumping thief.  If I had known it was going to end in three issues, I would have stuck it out for a couple more months. Instead, I lost interest - RASL didn’t read well as a monthly series.  It fared better this time around as a binge read, and I might look up what I’m missing out on from the library.

Regret buying: No
Would buy again: No
Would read again: Yes
Rating: Nice

The Assignment
Huh, this should be sorted in the A’s, not the R’s.  I thought this was called (Re)Assignment, which the movie version was for a while.  (Starring Michelle Rodriguez and Sigourney Weaver. I haven’t seen it, don’t plan to, either.)

So, intriguing premise: A doctor surgically alters a hitman’s body from male to female as revenge for an assassination.  I’d have bought more into the story if the post-procedure hitman’s drawn body language reflected that of a guy’s - it’s not like the hitman is trying to transition, his body was changed against his will.  Would he still move like he did with a male body? Instead, it feels more like a 70s exploitation film. And I don’t even know how to interpret the sex scene.  

Still, The Assignment provokes more thought than most comics, even the execution is horribly flawed.  Keeping it around.

Regret buying: No
Would buy again: No
Would read again: Yes
Rating: Nice   

No comments:

Post a Comment