Sunday, March 3, 2019

Wolverine, Sara

I went to a local but-not-my-usual comic shop in search of the Saga trades that I’m missing.  (They have a nice collection of used graphic novels.)  I didn’t find them, but did get my hands on some other choice comics.

Wolverine 9-11
The missing issues to the Rucka run, finishing up the Coyote Crossing storyline.  It continues to read like Garth Ennis’ Punisher, even more so when reinforced by the Leandro Fernandez art.  The bit where he gives the baby away to an innocent relative of the mother mirrors the Long Cold Dark storyline quite closely.  Like I said last time, I’m not complaining. One could do worse than Ennis when it comes to writers to ape.

Update: These Wolverine issues came before that Punisher arc, so shows how much I know.






I’m a fan of these eleven issues, I’m probably going to pull these out of the box and put them on the shelf.  

Regret buying: No
Would buy again: Yes
Would read again: Yes
Rating: Pretty good

Sara 1-6
I had not heard of the publisher at all.  Turns out they started in December 2018.  Their business plan involves releasing complete mini-series in three formats at the same time: trade, digital, and all six issues in a fancy box.  It makes zero sense to me (why would I buy the issues if the trade is immediately available, and at a cheaper price?), but if it means I get a Garth Ennis war story, I’m in like Flynn.

Sara jumps to the top echelon of Ennis’ bibliography.  This story of a seven-woman Soviet sniper team on the Eastern front blows me away.  Sara plays the stock coldly efficient Ennis soldier with tortured inner demons. He writes her and the rest of her squad so very well, and I would love to read an ongoing series with these characters.  Steve Epting puts in some of his finest work, and the colors by Elizabeth Breitweiser are crisp and lovely.

The ending completely surprised me.  It makes sense within the context of the story, but I didn’t expect Ennis to go that route.  

No comments:

Post a Comment