Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Supergirl, Adventures of Superman Annual, Superboy Annual


I just moved all the comics I've read so far for this project up to the attic. (Needed to clear out some space.)

It's weird having my progress visualized as 14 cardboard boxes.

Supergirl 1-2
This title follows the re-introduction of Kara to the DCU in Superman/Batman, also written by Jeph Loeb.  I can’t remember what happened to negate all the Kara Zor-El stories before that, but whatever.  I’ll roll with it.

As with the Superboy stories I read yesterday, these issue deal with a protagonist looking to discover who she is, where she fits into this world, and how to deal with the pressure of wearing that “S” across her chest.  Loeb does an adequate job, but I’m disappointed that each of these issues centers around the tired “misunderstanding between heroes leads to fight” plot device. Feels like filler.

Ian Churchill’s art is as excellent as it usually is.  (That’s a lot of ‘is’ and ‘as.’) A lot of Jim Lee influence, but distinctly Churchill (the non-Marineman Churchill).  (Four ‘Churchill’s in four sentences.  I’m breaking all the rules.)

That skirt is so impractical.

Fine for what it is, but I don’t need to read more, and past-me seems to have agreed.

Regret buying: No
Would buy again: No
Would read again: Yes
Rating: Nice

Adventures of Superman Annual 6
Superboy Annual 1
I can’t imagine why I bought this two-part story back in high school.  It’s not like the Elseworlds theme that governed all the annuals that year got me to buy any other titles.  The art, while fine, doesn’t particularly stand out. (Not even the Mike Mignola cover, I’ve never been the biggest fan of his.”)



But for all that, I’m super glad that I did.  This story by Karl Kesel hits all the alternate reality sweet spots, and I have a blast every time I read it.  
  1. Dystopian future where the heroes have been scared into hiding.
  2. Key death of a loved one convinces Superman it’s not worth the fight.
  3. Batman continues to fight alone.  
  4. The remnants of humanity convince the heroes to return.
  5. Dead loved one may not be dead after all.
  6. Assembled heroes mount one last all-or-nothing attack on the bad guys.
  7. Many of them die.
  8. The heroes win, ushering a new era of peace and prosperity.

Nothing original there, but it’s so well executed that I never get sick of it.  And the generic 90’s art somehow works to the benefit of the story instead of against it.  (Greg Luzniak and Brock Hor are the pencillers. I’ve never heard of Hor before or after this.  A quick search shows that he drew two Ultraverse issues.)

Nice work by Hor.  I love the black additions to her costume.

This is one of those random gems that no one remembers.  Give it a try if you have the chance.

Regret buying: No
Would buy again: Yes
Would read again: Yes
Rating: Pretty good

No comments:

Post a Comment