Saturday, March 30, 2019

Superman: Secret Origin, Out of the Blue, Sunstone

3/30/19
Still more new comics.  Busy week!
Out of the Blue 1
Garth Ennis’ latest war comic with Aftershock Comics is published in oversize hardcover form.  It’s three issues worth of comic; A little pricey, but I’m not complaining when it’s this good.  

I was surprised to discover that this is a sequel to the Archangel story way back in Ennis’ War Stories days.  It continues the story of the pilot who flew one of those planes that got catapulted off a merchant ship in WWII.  Hardly my first choice for a follow up, but it turns out to be worth the effort.

Sunstone Vol. 6
My lord, are these well written and exquisitely drawn by Stjepan Sejic.  I’ve never read a better integration of plot and sex. More precisely, I’ve never read another comic where the sex is so integral to the plot without feeling tacked on for fanboy sake.  The emotions are raw and true, and I can’t recommend this whole series highly enough.

I didn’t buy these, but the recent Bill Sienkiewicz variant covers for Fantastic Four are super sweet.








Superman: Secret Origin 1-6
Geoff Johns and Gary Frank present their take on Superman’s origin, and I couldn’t wipe the broad grin off my face through the whole thing.  There are many reasons for that, but the primary one has to be the creators’ amazing ability to channel Christopher Reeve into their interpretation of Clark/Superman.  Frank’s nails the actor’s ability to affect clueless innocence:



I mean, come on!

Johns also recreates the classic meeting with Lois, complete with helicopter.




When it's all done this well, homages can feel completely fresh and new.





Johns’ Luthor is one that I like reading - He’s an arrogant son of a bitch, but doesn’t come across as a bully.  It makes his conflict with Superman ‘fair,’ which makes it a lot more enjoyable for me. This is a Luthor who’s driven by ego, who’s so sure that he’d be the world’s savior if Superman wasn’t in the way.  It makes perfect sense that he would demonstrate his magnanimity with a daily “grant a wish” lottery, which brings out the worst in his supplicants.



His ultimate humiliation comes in the final issue, not when Superman defeats his minions, but when the citizens of Metropolis stop looking to him for answers.  It’s a great character moment.



This series really makes me happy, and it deserves the highest rating.  

Two final Christopher Reeve moments:

That smile!!!

Regret buying: No
Would buy again: Yes
Would read again: Yes
Rating: Pure joy

No comments:

Post a Comment