Friday, March 15, 2019

Runaways, Cover, Wonder Twins, Prodigy

New comics!
Runaways 19
Turns out it Molly was the one who wants to go along with Alex.  I’m not sure why after all this time she still wants to bring her parents back.  I mean, I get it from an emotional pov, but she’s got to know how evil they were after all this time.  Still not a fan of Alex, but Rainbow Rowell is doing a surprisingly good job of humanizing him. If she manages to pull a full Game of Thrones on someone that I hate (George RR Martin is the master of making bad guys easy to root for), I’ll be pretty impressed.  

Cover 6
So after all that, our hero (Max Field, and I only know that from the inside cover recap) successfully flips an enemy agent with a conversation.  No action or pyrotechnics. I’m not disappointed in the slightest, and I enjoyed this first arc overall. I most appreciated the little insights into what comic creators talk about - paper stock for their trades, coaxing variant cover art out of each other...that kind of stuff’s great.  Looking forward to reading this all at once.

And the David Mack art remains redonkulous.  

Even if he's completely rehashing his art from the Winter Soldier credits sequence...


If this variant by Jim Lee had been available, I'd have totally gotten it instead.

Wonder Twins 2
Well things got dark fast.  Jayna comes to the realization of how broken How Things Are is at the same time as the reader, for both the privatized prison system and the Justice League’s blind takedowns of every villain out there.  It’s hammered home a little too strongly by Mark Russell, but it’s still very effective. For all the humor in the writing, this is a really depressing issue to read. I’m not sure if I like it, but it still has my attention.

Prodigy 4
This is Mark Millar’s take on Sherlock Holmes crossed with the Midnighter.  I’m perfectly fine with that, I’m always down for a well-written uber-competent protagonist who’s twenty steps ahead of everyone else.  

No comments:

Post a Comment