Saturday, December 9, 2023

MCU Good Parts

Guardians of the Galaxy

Current rank: 27 of 33

Before rewatch:

  • Scenes I love: At a loss.  Quill’s dancing intro is iconic, but not rewatchable.  “Pelvic sorceries” is one of the best coupling of words ever.  

  • Expectations: I’m so less a fan of this film than the majority of the people.  It was entertaining, but I’ve never wanted to watch it again.


Rewatch stats:

  • Time to process: 58:00

  • Length of cut scenes: 17:23

  • Length of iffy scenes: 24:33

  • Length of total movie: 2:00:40

  • % with cut scenes: 86%

  • % with iffy scenes: 65%

  • Hero scenes kept: 78%

  • Villain scenes kept: 10%

  • Action scenes kept: 56%

  • Time of scenes I love: 2:38


After rewatch: I kept a lot of stuff, sure, but very little of it actually excited me.  My initial expectations were completely met.  Overrated movie.  


I’m sorely tempted to rank this even lower than the Thors at this point.  Asking both the “desert island” and “which would you rather rewatch” questions, my answer might actually be the Thors…At least Loki is in those movies, and I’d rather spend my time w/ Thor and Jane Foster than Peter Quill and Gamora.  Hrm.  Peter Gunn’s humor, while funny, isn’t the biggest selling point for me either.  It comes down to a discussion between character and plot.  Which is more important to me?  I think it’s the former for me right now…Can’t believe I’m doing this.


I think it comes down to the distinction that my rating for a movie isn’t the same as my ranking for it; I think Guardians is an objectively better movie, but I’d still rather watch Thor.  That’s how I’m going to think about it.


Avengers 2

Current rank: 10 of 33

Before rewatch:

  • Scenes I love: The party scene.  Vision picking up the hammer.  Cap and Tony being salty about it.  The Sokovia fight is actually really good as MCU set pieces go.  The farm scenes.

  • Expectations: I think I rate Age of Ultron a lot higher than most.  There’s a good amount of cruft, but not enough to ding the rating.


Rewatch stats:

  • Time to process: 1:05

  • Length of cut scenes: 19:32

  • Length of iffy scenes: 3:41

  • Length of total movie: 2:21:18

  • % with cut scenes: 86%

  • % with iffy scenes: 84%

  • Hero scenes kept: 82%

  • Villain scenes kept: 71%

  • Action scenes kept: 100%

  • Time of scenes I love: 13:07


After rewatch: Way fewer cut scenes than I expected.  Basically Ultron monologging and Thor’s vision quest.  Everything else is totally watchable.  And the hammer lifting competition continues to be a thing of beauty.  I think it’s actually a more fun watch than Avengers.  Did not expect that, either.  Major shakeup in the rankings today.


  1. Captain America: Winter Soldier

  2. Avengers: Age of Ultron

  3. Avengers

  4. Captain America

  5. Iron Man 2

  6. Iron Man

  7. Iron Man 3

  8. Thor

  9. Thor 2

  10. Guardians of the Galaxy

  11. Hulk

No comments:

Post a Comment