Sunday, December 10, 2023

MCU Good Parts

Captain America: Civil War

Current rank: 2 of 33

Before rewatch:

  • Scenes I love: So much of this movie is good.  The Bucky chase scene.  The ultimate hero-vs-hero throwdown.  This is number 2 for a reason.

  • Expectations: I don’t imagine my feelings for this movie are going to change.


Rewatch stats:

  • Time to process: 52:00

  • Length of cut scenes: 15:28

  • Length of iffy scenes: 7:08

  • Length of total movie: 2:27:25

  • % with cut scenes: 90%

  • % with iffy scenes: 85%

  • Hero scenes kept: 97%

  • Villain scenes kept: 44%

  • Action scenes kept: 100%

  • Time of scenes I love: 23:41


After rewatch:  So nice to not have a third act that’s a massive CG-fest.  The fights have emotional stakes here, which counts for so much.  Most of the cut scenes are for Baron Zemo on his quest.  Love this movie.


Dr Strange

Current rank: 22 of 33

Before rewatch:

  • Scenes I love: Hmm.  Some of the training scenes?  This movie gets better and better as Dr Strange and Wong continue to play bigger roles in the MCU, but a boring villain keeps this from getting much higher in the rankings, I think.

  • Expectations: The fight scenes are imaginative and different, but most of the Kaecilius scenes won’t survive.


Rewatch stats:

  • Time to process: 37:00

  • Length of cut scenes: 11:25

  • Length of iffy scenes: 3:42

  • Length of total movie: 1:54:40

  • % with cut scenes: 90%

  • % with iffy scenes: 87%

  • Hero scenes kept: 93%

  • Villain scenes kept: 73%

  • Action scenes kept: 100%

  • Time of scenes I love: 0:00


After rewatch: Wow, this is the epitome of “Nothing in the movies was really bad, but nothing really stands out, either.”  So little cut, but nothing that makes it stand out.  Expectations not changed a whit.  The action really is neat to watch, though.  Lots of creativity at play there.  


It does jump over Iron Man 3 in my rankings, a nominal jump of three spots in the overall rankings.


Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2

Current rank: 28 of 33

Before rewatch:

  • Scenes I love: Not much that I can think of right now.  Everyone discovering that Peter loves Gamora?  Oh, in the bomb detonation scene: “I am Groot?  I am Groot?  I am Groot!”  Watching Nebula reluctantly become a member of the team is kinda cool.  Karen Gillen’s the unsung hero of this trilogy.

  • Expectations: All the Guardians movies are lumped together in my mind rankings-wise.  It’s just a matter of where they are relative to each other.  Expecting to cut a lot of the Ego stuff, especially the final CGI-fest of a battle.


Rewatch stats:

  • Time to process: 49:00

  • Length of cut scenes: 7:32

  • Length of iffy scenes: 1:20:13

  • Length of total movie: 2:15:34

  • % with cut scenes: 94%

  • % with iffy scenes: 35%

  • Hero scenes kept: 39%

  • Villain scenes kept: 6%

  • Action scenes kept: 25%

  • Time of scenes I love: 4:41


After rewatch: By far the most iffy time so far.  I don’t care about so much of this movie.  I mean, I’ll watch it, I guess.  I just care so little about these characters.  The Nebula/Gamora relationship is the best part of the movie.  Definitely not as good as the first Guardians.


  1. Captain America: Civil War

  2. Captain America: Winter Soldier

  3. Avengers: Age of Ultron

  4. Avengers

  5. Captain America

  6. Iron Man 2

  7. Iron Man

  8. Ant-Man

  9. Dr Strange

  10. Iron Man 3

  11. Thor

  12. Thor 2

  13. Guardians of the Galaxy

  14. Guardians of the Galaxy 2

  15. Hulk

No comments:

Post a Comment