Friday, December 22, 2023

MCU Good Parts

Dr Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Current rank: 9 of 33

Before rewatch:

  • Scenes I love: I found Wanda’s grief very powerful.  Some of the Illuminati stuff, the musical note fight.  Zombie Strange.  Though I like most of this stuff more than love.

  • Expectations: I have this movie ranked surprisingly high.  Unlike most reviews, I find Wanda’s desperate need to return to her kids totally believable, even after the events of WandaVision.  I also like Sam Raimi’s horror-lite take on the MCU.  But will I still rate it so positively?  Not sure.


Rewatch stats:

  • Time to process: 56:00

  • Length of cut scenes: 9:42  

  • Length of iffy scenes: 0:00

  • Length of total movie: 2:06:15

  • % with cut scenes: 92%

  • % with iffy scenes: 92%

  • Hero scenes kept: 100%

  • Villain scenes kept: 100%

  • Action scenes kept: 100%

  • Time of scenes I love: 0:00


After rewatch: Wow, nothing cut, nothing loved.  Though to be fair, there are a bunch of scenes that I like an awful lot.  


Thor: Love and Thunder

Current rank: 13 of 33

Before rewatch:

  • Scenes I love: Natalie Portman is a treasure in this, way more so than in her previous two appearances.  

  • Expectations: Her relationship with Thor, their interactions, is probably the only reason this movie is as high as it is.  Something about it resonates with me.  Not sure if it’ll hold up, we’ll see…


Rewatch stats:

  • Time to process: 1:20:00

  • Length of cut scenes: 22:55

  • Length of iffy scenes: 27:00

  • Length of total movie: 1:58:27

  • % with cut scenes: 81%

  • % with iffy scenes: 58%

  • Hero scenes kept: 62%

  • Villain scenes kept: 67%

  • Action scenes kept: 71%

  • Time of scenes I love: 30:59


After rewatch: I would never have thought going into this movie that Korg would be the worst part.  And yet, there he is: Totally grating and almost never as funny as Taika Waititi thinks he is.


This movie is well in the bottom third in terms of cut/iffy scenes.  And yet it’s fifth in time of scenes I love!  What an insane juxtaposition of great and not-great scenes.  As predicted, I got sucked right back into the Jane/Thor love story.  So where does it rank this time around?


  1. Avengers: Endgame

  2. Captain America: Civil War

  3. Captain America: Winter Soldier

  4. Spider-Man: No Way Home

  5. Avengers: Infinity War

  6. Shang-Chi

  7. Avengers: Age of Ultron

  8. Ant-Man/Wasp

  9. Avengers

  10. Spider-Man: Homecoming

  11. Captain America

  12. Dr Strange 2

  13. Thor: Love and Thunder

  14. Spider-Man: Far From Home

  15. Iron Man 2

  16. Black Widow

  17. Black Panther

  18. Iron Man

  19. Ant-Man

  20. Dr Strange

  21. Iron Man 3

  22. Thor 3

  23. Captain Marvel

  24. Thor

  25. Thor 2

  26. Guardians of the Galaxy

  27. Guardians of the Galaxy 2

  28. Hulk

  29. Eternals

No comments:

Post a Comment