Saturday, June 5, 2021

Batman: Hush, Batman: Broken City, Winick Batman, New Comics

New comics!

Black Cat 7

A satisfying ending to the arc as Felicia saves the day.  Jed MacKay can really write a fun story.  (Though is there any difference between Black Cat and Catwoman?  I can totally see this working as a Selina story.  Speaking of which...)


Batman/Catwoman 5

Stuff’s happening, which is nice.  It’s amazing how almost all of Tom King’s stories fit the same pattern.


Batman 608-619

Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee’s Hush story.  Has there ever been a more pointless, boring character than Hush?  This whole arc is really an excuse for Jim Lee to draw Batman and his Rogue’s Gallery, which he does amazingly well.  And it sets the stage for Tom King to much more interesting things w/ the Bat/Cat relationship.  Things I noticed:


The S looks great on black.

The first time I can recall seeing Martha's face with the gun/pearls.  It's eerie.

Another great Batgirl.

I was going to mention how much I like Jim Lee's Nightwing, how he fights like Gambit...

...then I realized just how true that was, down to the pose.

I'm a sucker for a Jim Lee gatefold.



Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Pretty good


Batman 620-625

Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso team up yet again.  A dreadfully boring story that’s redeemed only by Risso’s art and some admittedly nice moments in the last issue.


I like the detail-less Batman.

Of course Graves shows up.

Though it's odd he's that prominent.


Chilling.


Going back to the topic of Azzarello writing disappointments, I don’t buy the retcon that Bruce’s last words to his parents were words of anger.  There are too many retellings where he’s giddy and happy from the Zorro viewing before the murder of his parents.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Fine


Batman 655-657

The introduction of Damien Wayne.  A controversial character to be sure.  I’ve since seen him written well, but I detest this original incarnation by Grant Morrision.  It doesn’t help that Andy Kubert draws him with such a punchable face.  Past me agreed, quitting after three issues.


I can't decide if the pop art backgrounds are lame or fun.


Okay, they're pretty fun.  Kubert does a great job with them.

Master of understatement.

God, I want to hit him.

Excellent parenting skills.  I'm not necessarily being sarcastic.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Fine


Batman 626-630

Judd Winick starts his mostly-continuous run on Batman.  He starts off with a Penguin/Scarecrow story that’s not bad, with solid art from the always likable Dustin Nguyen.  If I remember correctly, Winick’s setting things up for a bigger follow up.  


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Nice


Batman 634

I took a few issues off for the not-Winick written War Games crossover, but mistakenly bought this issue not knowing it was an epilogue issue.  DC falsely credits Winick and Mahnke as the creative team on the cover.  Cutting.


Regret buying: Yes

Would buy again: No

Would read again: No

Rating: Fine


No comments:

Post a Comment