Sunday, May 26, 2019

Dreadstar, I Could Never Be Your Woman

I was rewatching I Could Never Be Your Woman the other day.  Directed by Amy Heckerling of Clueless immortality, it’s wildly inconsistent.  But it’s got several things going for it - Saoirse Ronan in her first film role, Paul Rudd doing amazing slapstick, and an absolutely magnetic Michelle Pfeiffer.  I couldn’t take my eyes off her, and there’s something nice about the fact that older Pfeiffer is more attractive than younger. Love her.

Wasp and Ant-Man!  Both ageless wonders.

Dreadstar Annual 1
Dreadstar 1-6, 8, 9
I think I picked up a huge run of Dreadstar back in college because I’d heard some good stuff about it.  I probably recognized Jim Starlin’s name from Infinity Gauntlet and wanted to give him a try.  I don’t remember anything else about this title, which I took as a sign that this would be an easy cut.

A third of the way into the issues that I have, I’m on the fence about whether this is worth keeping.  It’s not particularly good, but it doesn’t suck either. Just writing that out feels like my questions are answered.

There’s a ton of exposition; It seems like every character needs their own issue to tell their origin story in lengthy flashbacks.  It’s a tedious way to fill in backstory. But on the other hand, it’s not so boring that I’m reduced to skimming. So Starlin must be doing something right.

Starlin’s art is solid, and even pleasing, but character designs are largely uninspired.  Dreadstar’s a blue Robin Hood with a sword. Willow literally looks like Scarlett from GI Joe.



Oedi’s a cat in a jumpsuit.  Syzygy’s the only one with a unique look, and even then, it looks like Starlin slapped some accessories onto a black onesie and called it a day.

Well drawn, but not the most visually appealing.
More later as I read more.  

Heh, Infinity Horn.  Starlin loves him some Infinity weapons.

This reminded me of Kubert's later Infinity cover.

Eh, kind of. 


No comments:

Post a Comment