Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Peter David Incredible Hulk

Peter David wrote The Incredible Hulk for twelve years.  My collection only contains a smattering of those issues, across three eras.  Let’s see how good they are.

Incredible Hulk 381-387
I got these issues for free at some point in my life.  Fine by me, because after reading them again, I’m glad I didn’t spend the money.  They’re completely okay, with some flashes of David’s excellent brand of humor, but ultimately forgettable.  Dale Keown’s art is the best part. These might be the only examples of his work that I own (his bibliography is awfully sparse for such a renowned penciller), but it’s not enough to make me keep them around.  If I ever get the hankering to read them again, I’ll pick up the Peter David Hulk collections that Marvel now publishes.


Just some classic Keown covers.

Regret buying? No
Would buy again? No
Would read again? No
Rating: Didn’t suck

Incredible Hulk 417, 418, 420
These are my favorite Hulk issues, and it’s not even close.  Rick and Marlo’s bachelor and bachelorette parties + wedding burst at the seams with the funnies.  I could spend the rest of this post showing all the panels that have stuck with me for over twenty years.  Hmm. That’s not the worst idea. Also because I love Gary Frank’s work on this title.

I still say this.  An inside joke for one.

Worst bachelor party ever.




Best groan-worthy joke ever.  Also love Rick lifting his foot.

Jim Wilson dies of AIDS in the Very Special issue 420.  It’s aged pretty well, and remains a moving, well-told story.  

Regret buying? No
Would buy again? Yes
Would read again? Yes
Rating: Really good

Incredible Hulk 465-467
The last three issues of Peter David’s epic run.  He doesn’t pull any punches here, giving Bruce Banner everything that he wants in life before killing Betty with a lethal dose of radiation poisoning.  While it was obviously not permanent, the desperation to save her is palpable, and beautifully juxtaposed with scenes of Marlo’s bedtime reading.

Love how she absently but affectionately rests her arm on Rick.  Such a peaceful scene.

Future Rick Jones, playing the role of David’s mouthpiece, tells the story of the aftermath, hinting at stories that will never be told.  Adam Kubert does wonderful work, as he almost always does.

Glorious.

As I said yesterday, intelligent Hulk is much more interesting Hulk.  Or maybe Peter David Hulk is much more interesting Hulk, I’m not sure.  I think reading David’s full run would be just as wearying as going through Stern’s Avengers or Byrne’s FF, no matter how good it is.  Maybe. I’m perfectly happy with the issues that I’m keeping, and don’t feel the temptation to push my luck.

Regret buying? No
Would buy again? Yes
Would read again? Yes
Rating: Pretty good

No comments:

Post a Comment